About the Artist
Pat has been an animal lover his entire life. As a child he used to sketch on a regular basis. During his high school and college years art took a back seat to a degree at the University of Minnesota. In 1995, Pat started working with animals and became reunited with his passion for the arts. By the year 2000, his first attempt at painting was so enjoyable, he couldn't stop. Basically self taught, Pat paints primarily with acrylics on various surfaces including clayboard and rawhide. He works in a very realistic style, trying to capture the mood and spirit of the subject.
All wildlife plays an important role in his paintings, but North American mammals and birds have taken center stage of late. He is also interested in connecting Native American symbols into his work. Other artists he is influenced by include Robert Bateman, Daniel Smith, and Rock Newcomb to name a few. His reference material comes from many sources, including work, vacations, and childhood memories of field trips to local zoos in his home state of Illinois. Currently residing in Vista, Ca., Pat is always searching for new ideas and reference material.
1) Foothills Art Associations Annual Wildlife in Art Shows, La Mesa, Ca.
2) Pacific Southwest Wildlife Art Shows 2001 to current, featured artist 2011, San Diego, Ca.
3) 51st Annual Society of Animal Artists Exhibition (2011).
4) San Diego Zoos Annual Art Show 2001 to current.
5) The San Diego Natural History Museum's Wildlife Art Exhibition (2005).
6) The Rancho Sante Fe Arts Guilds 1st Annual Wildlife Art Show (2006).
7) The 2007 Southwest Arts Festival, Indio, Ca.
8) The San Dimas Wildlife Arts Festival (2007-2009/2011).
9) San Bernardino County Museum Wildlife Art Festival (2007-2011).
10) Paint the Parks Mini 50 finalist (2007)
11) The San Diego Wild Animal Parks Annual Wildlife Art Shows (2008-2011).
12) The Artist's Magazines Annual Art Competition Finalist (2009-2010).
13) American Art in Miniature, The Gilcrease Museum, Tulsa, O.K. (2009).
14) Parklane Gallery 18th Annual International Miniature Show, Kirkland, Wa. (2010).
15) The Miniature Painters, Sculptors & Gravers Society of Washington D. C. 77th Annual
International Exhibition of Fine Art in Miniature (2010).
1) Society of Animal Artists, Associate Member (2010-2011).